The ketogenic diet has become much more than a buzz word. This diet has become almost it’s own religion in the multi-billion dollar diet and weightless industry. And with good reason! There is an infinite amount of success stories as well as scientific research data to support most of the claims that this diet promotes.
And while this diet program can boast an impressive reputation, there are still many questions as to whether it is the BEST diet out there and how much, if any, caution should be exercised before taking on what is truthfully a very strict way of eating. Yes … the ketogenic diet is not simply an eating plan, it is a lifestyle, and it is my personal and professional opinion that unless you embrace it as such, you will not experience the success you are expecting.
So what does it mean to “go keto?” In a nutshell eating a ketogenic diet means consuming higher amounts of fats, moderate amounts of protein and very low amounts of carbohydrates. The general guideline for just how much of each of these macros one should be consuming while following a ketogenic diet are:
65-70% of calories from fat
15-30% of calories from protein
5-10% of calories from carbohydrates
Now if you are a “carb-junkie,” making this switch may be challenging. Most people who make the switch to keto report symptoms that have been coined “the keto flu,” because they feel like they have the flu. They report feeling draggy, nauseaous, extremely tired, having achy and painful joints, bad headaches … you get the picture. This keto flu can last 5-7 days, however the intensity that one experiences with respect to these symptoms varies from person to person. I will also add to this that the more unhealthy your current diet is, the more likely you are to have more severe flu-like symptoms. The good news is that this keto flu is short lived and these same people also report feeling better than ever after these after their symptoms subside.
Very, very simplified, the ketogenic diet works by putting your body into a state of ketosis. Ketosis is where you no longer have enough glucose stores for energy, so your body begins to use fats as its’ primary fuel source. When your body makes this switch and begins to burn fat for energy, people notice a significance drop in weight, along with a few other things.
Besides the astounding weight loss that most people experience when following a ketogenic way of eating there are several other health benefit claims that keto followers are reporting and that science has some data to support. From reducing the risk of heart disease, to having a positive impact on neurological disorders such as Alzheimers, Parkinsons and Epilepsy to positively influencing insulin sensitivity in diabetics, the list of pro’s in going keto is rather impressive.
So if you are wondering if I’m truly suggesting that you can get your body into a state of ketosis in only 5 days the answer is YES. Actually it is possible to get your body into a state of ketosis in only 3 days! It’s the sticking to it and not deviating from the plan, especially when feeling the effects of the keto flu, that holds the key to your long term success and sustainability when switching to a ketogenic way of eating.
So what is this “jumpstart” exactly? Well it’s really quite simple … in theory that is. However it will take a certain amount of discipline from you. A lot of people when choosing to switch to a ketogenic lifestyle will often opt for a gradual or weaning type of process that takes them from current eating behaviors to a more modified Atkins approach. Once they feel secure and like they have a good handle on this way of eating they go thought a next step transition into a full ketogenic eating plan. For those who are wanting to simply “go for it,” and get right to business without a gradual transition, the option is this 5 day jumpstart to launch you full swing into a ketogenic way of eating.
In order to support and have success with a 5 day Keto Jumpstart here is what you need to do …
1. Be very selective as to when you want to start. Keep in mind that you are going to experience some unpleasant symptoms while your body switches to burning fats and goes into ketosis, so choosing to start a keto diet right before an important work presentation or another major event is not a good idea.
2. Clear out the carbs! Yup … it’s going to be a lot easier to stick to the strict parameters of eating keto if your kitchen is not saturated with temptation. Get rid of all the high carb, high sugar, foods that will sabotage your success and stock your kitchen with keto friendly foods!
3. Consume 20g or less of net carbs daily. You just have to do it!
4. There are several FREE keto calculators that you can find online to determine what your exact keto macros need to be to stay in ketosis. You need these numbers! Here is a link to one of my favorite keto calculators:
FREE Keto Calculator
5. Purchase ketostix. These are easily found in most health food stores and online. The reason I recommend this is because when you are in the first few days of switching to keto and feeling rather … well, awful, these ketostix are good confirmation that you are indeed going into ketosis and the process is working.
6. Drink TONS of water! Okay, now that you believe you are drinking enough … drink MORE! Keeping your body hydrated is always a priority and when going through this process it will be a huge lifesaver in getting you through the first couple days. Sooooo DRINK UP!
7. CHILL OUT when it comes to fats! This is typically a lot more challenging a mindset for the ladies to embrace, however fats, meaning GOOD and HEALTHY fats, are your friend when you switch to eating ketogenic, and they are the reason your body is now a fat burning machine!
Alright, you have decided you are committed to doing this and you are going ALL IN! You’ve decided when you are starting, you know your macros, the house is stocked with all the right foods to support a ketogenic eating plan and you have all your Netflix shows picked out to get you through those first couple days when it’s going to be a little rough!
YOU’VE GOT THIS!!!